Please remember the deadline for all Keystone SPJ entries is Feb. 20, 2017.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
- Go to http://betternewspapercontest.com
- Click the appropriate Contestant Login or Open Call Login button at the top of the page.
- Select the appropriate contestant type: If you are the single point of contact for your organization, select Contestant Manager. NOTE: Once you have submitted 2 entries, you will receive an email validating your Contestant Manager account, enabling you to create Authorized Entrant accounts to make entries on behalf of your organization. ii. If you have received an email authorizing you to submit entries for your organization, select Authorized Entrant.
- Contestant Manager and Authorized Entrant only:
- Select the 2017 Society of Professional Journalists Keystone Pro Chapter Spotlight Awards
- Select the appropriate News Organization.
- (Authorized Entrant only) Enter your email address.
- Enter your temporary Password: bnc (lower case), and click Login. When you first login, the system will prompt you to create a secure password and enter your contact information.
- If you are an individual submitting your own entries (including freelancers), select Open Call, then enter your email and password. If you haven’t yet created an Open Call account, follow the on- screen instructions.
- Log in to your account
- Go to choose a contest.
- Choose “2017 Society of Professional Journalists Keystone Pro Chapter Spotlight Contest’’ from the drop-down menu.
- Submit Entry
- On the Manage Entries page, click Submit Entry (left side).
- Select the appropriate Division and Category.
- Complete the Headline/Title field
- Add entry content (may vary by category):
- Entries may include sidebars.
- The contest covers stories and photos published between Jan. 1, 2016 and Dec. 31, 2016.
- The Spotlight Contest is open to all journalists who either lived in Pennsylvania when their work was published or whose work was published in Pennsylvania. Online publications are welcome.
- There is no limit to the number of entries an individual or team can submit in a category.
- Entries may be submitted in more than one category.
- Entries become the property of Keystone State Pro SPJ and will not be returned.
- Deadline for entries is Feb. 20, 2017.
The entry fee is $20 per entry. Payment may be mailed to CAROL CRANE, SPJ Keystone Treasurer, 1402 Mountain Road, Shickshinny, PA 18655. Please make check or money order payment to SPJ Keystone Pro Chapter
No refunds will be given and no invoices will be issued. Your cancelled check or money order slip should be maintained for proof of payment.
All payments must include the name(s) of the individual(s) per entry, the name of the publication, a contact address and a phone number. Additionally, a list of ALL entries must accompany payment as well.
NOTE: (A list can be printed out from the contest site if multiple entries are being submitted.) We need this information to track which entries the payments cover.
Payments must be received by March 7, 2017.
To upload digital file attachments (other than audio/video), click Browse, navigate to the desired file, and select Open.
Allowed file types are PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, JPG, GIF, and PNG. If more than one attachment is desired for this entry, click Attach More and repeat these steps. If you reach a point where you cannot add any more attachments to an entry, you may have reached the attachments limit. Please try to keep file sizes under 5mb.
For larger files click the Real-View icon or the submit entry page, create a free account, upload the files and paste the hosted item web address into the website URL field. You can also upload larger files to a 3rd-party website such as http://www.issuu.com, and paste the hosted item’s web address into the website URL field.
To add web/audio/video content, copy and paste the content’s web address into the provided website URL field. To host your content online, either upload it to a free streaming content website or talk to your IT person about adding it to your website. Make sure the content will be accessible online throughout the contest and awards process.
Here are some examples of free streaming content websites where you can upload audio and video content: Audio: http://www.kiwi6.com, http://www.tindeck.com Video: http://www.youtube.com, http://www.vimeo.com
IMPORTANT: Please ensure that items are not behind a paywall or a password-protected area. If they are, you must provide username/password info in the Comments section of your entry. Judges may disqualify your entry if work samples are inaccessible.
- Add Credits for up to 5 people responsible for the entry content.
- Add Comments, but keep them to 100 words or less.
- Click Submit
- Pay for Entries
When all entries are submitted (but before the Entry Deadline), log in to your account’s Manage Entries page.
- Click Calculate Entry Fee (middle right) and review your list of entries for accuracy.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list for your Entry Fee Subtotal (lower right).
- Click the payment link (lower left) to pay for your contest entries, following the instructions on the payment page.
- Click the Print icon (upper right) to print your list of entries and fees. Be sure to include a copy of your entry list with your payment.